The ability to produce cost estimates efficiently and accurately is a critical step in many construction career paths and a high-demand skill throughout the construction industry. Computer software has become a popular tool for estimating, and Microsoft Excel is the most widely used option. In this one-day course, learn how to produce your estimates more quickly and accurately by harnessing the power of Microsoft Excel.
This one-day workshop covers:
- Use Excel formulas and functions for typical construction estimating tasks
- Create takeoff sheets for use as templates
- Learn handy shortcuts to streamline estimating
- Link information in worksheets and workbooks
- Accurately calculate profit, overhead, markups, and taxes
- Generate graphs to visually display work product
- Use features such as VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP
- Create Pivot tables and Pivot charts to quickly analyze and visualize information
- Explore functions such as COUNTIF and SUMIF
This hands-on course is taught by a certified Microsoft Master Instructor.
You will need to have MS Excel 2016 (or newer) program downloaded and installed on the computer. The web version will not be suitable.
In order to participate in this course, you will require either two monitors or a second device (tablet) or computer so that you are able to watch the instructor while at the same time practicing and applying the new skills.
Delivery Method: Virtual Session – GoToTraining
Course Fee Includes: Access to the course, course materials, and a digital certificate upon completion.
This course is delivered in partnership with local and provincial construction associations across Canada. You will be participating with a group of industry peers from multiple regions.
Sharing a single registration between two or more individuals is not permitted. Please register each person that will be in attendance.
A basic knowledge of and experience with Windows, including being able to start programs, switch between programs, locate saved files, and close programs. Note: Access to the Excel desktop app is required for this course.
Who Should Attend
This course is for anyone who uses (or is considering using) Microsoft Excel for construction estimating. Whether you’re a novice or experienced Excel user, you’ll get practice using basic and extended features of Excel for a variety of typical estimating tasks. This course is for contractors and subcontractors in all segments of the construction industry.
For support or inquiries, please email email@example.com or call 604-293-2339.
Computer or laptop
- This course will involve on-screen interaction with your instructor and classmates, reading/viewing on-screen content (slides or videos), and interacting via typing with questions or responses. For this reason, cell-phones or tablets may not be adequate.
- Windows 10 or Mac iOS
- For a full list of Zoom’s requirements click here
- Downloading of the Zoom app will ensure a much faster experience https://zoom.us/support/download
- Webcam – in order to engage and collaborate, participants will be expected to have their webcams on for the duration of the class
- Internet connection - For best results, you will want to ensure you have an internet connection with an upload/download speed of 3-5 Mbps. You can test your internet speed here. Minimum recommended speed is 1.5 Mbps, but anything below 3 Mbps may result in loss of quality or buffering. Ideally hardwired connection versus wireless for stability - connect your computer directly to your router using an ethernet cable, rather than using your home wi-fi.
- A quiet space with minimal distractions - microphone will be engaged for interactive sessions. Please plan to be fully engaged in the class and clear your work schedule just as you would for the in-class program.
- Comfortable chair