1655 Powick Road
- Understand the basics of contract law –intention, offer, acceptance, consideration, capacity and legality
- Be familiar with various CCDC/CCA contracts -how and why they are used
- Be familiar with various legal terms used in contracts
- Understand the contract responsibilities of various parties
- Understand the bidding process and contractual obligations
- Define back charges and how to avoid them
- Avoid construction disputes and claims from the site level
- Write RFIs and Change Orders
- Understand the dispute resolution process – negotiation, mediation, arbitration, and litigation
- Use the Builder’s Lien Act to obtain security
- Use the small claims process to collect debts
- Understand environmental law and how it impacts projects
- Understand safety law and it impacts construction companies
- Understand how specifications and drawings fit within the contractual hierarchy
- Understand the contractual relationship between contractor and sub-contractor
- Compile and submit proper extras and claims
- The basic concepts of contract law
- CCA, CCDC and other contracts
- Legal terms used in contracts
- Bidding process and contractual obligations
- Specifications, drawings and the contractual hierarchy
- Contractual relationships between contractor and sub-contractor
- Compiling and submitting proper extras and claims
- Defining back charges and how to avoid them
- Avoiding construction disputes and claims from the site level
- Writing RFIs and Change Orders
- The dispute resolution process
- The Builder’s Lien Act
- The Small Claims process
- Environmental law
- Safety legislation and regulations
Two days (16 hours) of lessons with instructors plus an online portion involving research, reading and answering questions (7-8 hours) that will be marked by the instructors.
To receive your CPD accredited certificate you must complete the online portion after the 2 day course.
Tim Williams MBA, B.Econ., CPA, GSC, is the President of BGC Partners Inc. Tim has worked with numerous construction companies for over twenty years. He is a Gold Seal Certified project manager. He is an experienced and sought after trainer who has trained construction owners and managers on behalf of construction industry associations across Western Canada.
David Letkemann BBA, LLB, is a partner at Linley Welwood. David practices in the field of civil litigation, including personal injury, commercial, estate and construction law. He is an experienced litigator having participated in numerous trials in the BC Supreme Court and has also appeared before the Court of Appeal on several occasions.
For support or inquiries, please email email@example.com or call 604-293-2339.
CWU members may qualify for reimbursement. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
COURSE REGISTRATION CANCELLATIONS, TRANSFERS & REFUNDS:
Cancellations received at least 10 business days prior to the course will result in a full refund.
Cancellations received less than 10 business days but more than 5 full business days prior to the course are subject to an administration fee of $100 per day for full and half-day seminars, or $25 for breakfast sessions.
Registrants who do not show up for a course, and/or who do not notify CITN at least 5 full business days prior to the course date will be assessed the full cost of the course. There will be no refunds or credits in this case.
Substitution of attendees is permitted up to and including the day of the course.
COURSE CANCELLATION BY CITN:
CITN may have to postpone or cancel courses due to insufficient enrolment, in which case CITN’s liability will be limited to a refund of the registration fee.