Participants will develop skills and knowledge to estimate electrical construction projects and prepare a successful bids.
At the end of the course participants will be able to:
• Calculate work quantities from engineering drawings
• Adjust for material swell and shrink factors
• Assemble efficient crews and determine productivity
• Put into practice effective methods for determining job costs.
• Use essential formats for clearly estimating equipment, labor, material and other service costs related to completing a project.
• Assess and decide how a variety of physical site complexities may affect the estimated cost of a project and use methods to counteract these variances.
• Better identify and interpret general site conditions, special conditions and technical specifications associated with electrical projects.
• Analyze potential projects and decide on which ones to bid • Understand risk analysis and how to price this into a bid
• Do competitor analysis and understand how this impacts the bid
• Do client risk analysis and how to price this into bids
• Record material and other prices and maintain contact lists
• Formulate a bid strategy
• Understand how to prepare an estimate and the estimating process
• Become familiar with Construction Division Codes
• Understand how to present a bid
• Be familiar with how to use the bid depository
• Understand the requirements for bonding and insurance
• Understand the post-bidding process
• Communicate with project managers to pass on knowledge of the bid prior to mobilization
Audience: The course is designed for those interested in becoming electrical estimators and for workers with experience in construction that desire to improve their knowledge of electrical estimating.
Course fee includes: All books and materials, lunch, certificate upon completion and parking.
The course includes: Two days (16 hours) of lessons with instructors plus an online portion involving research, reading and answering questions (7-8 hours) that will be marked by the instructors. Please note you only have one attempt at passing the online portion.
Upon successful completion of the 2 days and the online portion for this course, eligible for 32 CPD points with BC Housing Licensing and Consumer Services.
If successfully completed the 2-day component and did not pass the online portion, eligible for 16 CPD points with BC Housing Licensing and Consumer Services.
Instructors: Charles Baverstock, GSC & Tim Williams, B.Econ., MBA, CPA, GSC