Drug and alcohol use has become an increasing issue in the workplace, especially given the prevalence of prescribed marijuana for medicinal reasons. How do you deal with an employee in a safety-sensitive role who has a medical marijuana licence? Are they still allowed to perform their safety sensitive job? If an employee with a licence says they need to use their marijuana at the workplace, how is this addressed? Are employees with medical marijuana licences exempt from drug testing?
In this 2-hour interactive session we will discuss:
• Drug and Alcohol Policies
• Testing for Drug and Alcohol Use
• Consequences for Testing Positive
• Pre-employment Situations
• Impaired at Work Situations
• Accommodation requirements for workers with drug and or alcohol addiction
• Suggested wording on Medical Marijuana to update company policies
While this session is part of a series, participants are not required to attend all sessions in the series or attend in any sequence. Each session can be attended independently.
Pamela is a professional consultant, trainer and coach with over 25 years’ experience in Organizational and Leadership Performance within multi-national environments, both union and non-union.
Her professional background includes work as a senior HR Director with Lafarge North America where she was the key HR business partner for the Product Line General Managers (ready mix concrete, aggregates, cement manufacturing, asphalt, pave and construction) and leadership teams across Western Canada and the PNW US.
For support or inquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 604-293-2339.
Computer or laptop
- This course will involve on-screen interaction with your instructor and classmates, reading/viewing on-screen content (slides or videos), and interacting via typing with questions or responses. For this reason, cell-phones or tablets may not be adequate.
- Windows 10 or Mac iOS
- For a full list of Zoom’s requirements click here
- Downloading of the Zoom app will ensure a much faster experience https://zoom.us/support/download
- Webcam – in order to engage and collaborate, participants will be expected to have their webcams on for the duration of the class
- Internet connection - For best results, you will want to ensure you have an internet connection with an upload/download speed of 3-5 Mbps. You can test your internet speed here. Minimum recommended speed is 1.5 Mbps, but anything below 3 Mbps may result in loss of quality or buffering. Ideally hardwired connection versus wireless for stability - connect your computer directly to your router using an ethernet cable, rather than using your home wi-fi.
- A quiet space with minimal distractions - microphone will be engaged for interactive sessions. Please plan to be fully engaged in the class and clear your work schedule just as you would for the in-class program.
- Comfortable chair